Thursday 24 February 2011

The thing that they wrap CD's in. My Enemy no2

Okay, I thought pump dispensers were bad, but have just remembered they're not nearly as bad as the clingy stuff they wrap round CDs (WHY?).  Here is my story.

Yesterday, my daughter taught me to 'rip' and 'burn'.  God, I'm quite the modern mum.  ANyway, I wanted to make my friend a nice CD of all my favourite songs (a million brownie points to heaven for being such an angelic friend).  The first thing was to download all these songs onto the computer.  I thought technology had moved on since taping.  But no, I could rustle up a decent mixed tape in no time, with little stress.  Yet this took me about 8 hours.  The computer kept crashing, or the CD started to skip, rendering it useless for my purposes. 

SO, I was already in a rage by the time I had to insert the R80 - CD to burn - (or is it rip?) the songs onto.  I tried my nails first, working my way through them all, leaving them chipped and useless for this purpose.  I then found a screwdriver and tried to negotiate it under the 'skin', which stuck to the CD like a limpet to a rock.  It wasn't going to budge.  Eventually, (and by that time I was a quivering wreck, verging on meltdown) I discovered a metal nail file (like those old fashioned envelope opener knife things) and rather than using it to self harm, I prised it under the inpenetrable cellophane and it (eventually) punctured the surface.  Hallelujah!   The unslittable had been slit.  My CD was finally liberated.  Yay. 

But my story continues...
I then had to create a playlist and all the songs had to be 'converted' (another 4 hours), and the whole system froze halfway through so I lost everything.  This is when I gave up.  My daughter found me sobbing uncontrollably, with a hammer in my hand ready to smash the computer.  My obvious distress did not evoke an atom of sympathy.  She simply looked at me as if I was a complete idiot for being unable to perform this simple task, and walked out in disgust, reminding me that our computer was 'shit' and we needed to get a new one, hadn't she been telling me that for years?   Don't I know it.

1 comment:

  1. Aww, well, at least you're trying. I have a cassette player in my new van so am revisiting all my old mix tapes - bliss, and so much simpler. Love "the unslittable had been slit" btw. Jan x

    ReplyDelete